* my beautiful world *

Where my life journeys get more beautiful each day because of all the special people and unique experiences in my life...

Saturday, August 23, 2008

I'm definitely not cut out to be a cook...

I always agree with Joyce Meyer... not all women are just born to be homemakers. Now staying by ourselves with no mother or mother-in-law to cook nice home-cooked dinner for us anymore, I have no choice but to learn how to cook :'( it's one of the most challenging thing I'd learnt to do for the past one month. And not mentioning tiring... Not sure if it's because I'm still not familiar yet so I'm much slower, but I usually take one hour to prepare, another hour to cook, and another 15 mins just to wash up!! With my busy lifestyle, making time to cook is really a sacrifice I do for my dear hubby, cause I know he really loves home-cooked food. He don't like to eat out cause when it comes to food, he's very health conscious. He don't like food with MSG, too salty or oily. So... knowing that I could make his day happy by eating home-cooked food, I try to squeeze in time to cook for him. I try to come home in the late afternoon to prepare to cook, and then have dinner with him before I go off on another appointment again.

Before moving into our own house, I have not cooked except probably to fry an egg or cook instant noodles... I can't even be bothered to stand beside my mom to observe her cooking cause I simply have no interest in cooking... Having no experience, I have to trial and error... :p Sometimes it turns out quite ok, but sometimes I wish I could dump it into the bin. So far, one dish I can cook surprisingly well is... BEAN SPROUTS! I love to eat them, so I guess it's easier for me to 'imagine' how to cook them since I eat alot of them. Look at my bean sprout dish! I'm so proud of it I even took a picture of my creation!

The most 'memorable' disaster was the chicken steak I tried to grill... It looks burnt cause I didn't know adding BBQ sauce to it will cause that effect. And as I was grilling it, the breadcrumbs I used as the platter started to fall in pieces... My grilled chicken looked burnt and 'disfigured'.

I thank James for being so supportive and encouraging. He always tells me it's not that bad, it's nice, not salty, etc... I know at times he's lying ;) but even though I know he's doing so, it still makes me feels better. After all, I'm cooking for him, isn't it?? I'm learning to be a good cook (though it probably take me a long long time to master), so if you have tips, don't forget to share with me :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just love your cooking :).. the food not only nourishes with all the healthy points been taken care of by your thoughtfulness, your act of service also warm my heart with full of your love and concern.
MUCK!