* my beautiful world *

Where my life journeys get more beautiful each day because of all the special people and unique experiences in my life...

Friday, March 5, 2010

God's Angels

There are times during this difficult period when I wondered where is God? & recently, upon reflection, I realised He has been showing Himself to me through His angels.


I have heard a lot of people comment about the poor service & attitudes of staffs at SGH & I have experienced much personally. But during this difficult period in my life, many of the angels that appeared in my life are actually staffs of SGH too.

Angel #1: Ms Chew Li Ling (Medical Social Worker, SGH)
The first time when I knew my brother's condition, I was very depressed & feeling lost. She was there for me even though I was not a patient. She met me especially to counsel me, & provide me with advice on resources to take care of my brother when I was feeling lost & do not know what to do. She is the one who made me realised my brother & my family are never alone & he is just as normal as anyone walking along the street.

Even though my brother had been discharged from the hospital, she is still just a phone call away, & even met up with us on Wednesday to help us appeal for financial aid. Although she could only managed to get a little aid from the appeal which may seem insignificant (only 5% of the total outpatient bill), the time & efforts taken to help us all the way warms my heart greatly.

Angel #2: Dr Tan (SGH)
I have always thought that doctors are stuck-up creatures who are always so busy that they have to rush off somewhere. Dr Tan was an exception.

When my brother was in critical condition, he came after his work hours just to encourage my brother. When he comes to make his rounds every morning, he will spend some time updating my brother about his condition & encouraged him. When other doctors reported negative updates to my brother, he will visit him again to reassure him & encourage him. He even called us at home after my brother was discharged to find out how is his patient getting on at home after discharged.

Everytime my brother goes back for follow up visits, I can tell he is very happy to see Dr Tan. Dr Tan save lives not just by treating them medically, but also by instilling "I will live & I will live a normal life" attitude in his patients. He also refused to let them feel discriminated about themselves.

Angel #3: Ee Ling (Physiotherapist, SGH, Ward 64)
She was supposed to knock off her work at 5pm, but most days, she will stay behind till about 8pm. It isn't because she's a slow worker, but because she wanted her patients to recover faster & better by giving them longer physiotherapy sessions by sacrificing her own personal time. Instead of the usual 15-30 minutes physiotherapy sessions as required by the hospital, she easily spend 1-2 hours per patient. Her cheerful countenance easily brightens up her patients' day.

Towards the end of my brother's hospital stay, I was so drained emotionally & physically. I was walking towards the mrt station after visiting my brother one day, when Ee Ling saw me from behind. She ran to greet me, & when she saw my tired face, she immediately showed her concerned & encouraged me.

Angel #4: Yong Lily
She visited my brother & me in the hospital despite her busy schedule to show concern & encourages me. Whenever I needed to buy stuffs that Charis needed, she would often tell me that she has them at home as her kids used to use them. Then she would drive specially down to my house even in the wee hours just to bring them to me. She not only helped me save lots of money (when I need it the most), but this is also her way of showing love when I needed it the most.

When I visited Ms Chew's office on Wednesday, I saw post-it notes of bible verses scribled on her desktop. Ee Ling wore a cross pendant on her necklace. Lily is my cell group leader in church. They had been testimonies that God is real when doubts filled my heart. Of course, Dr Tan may not be a Christian for all I care, but he would definitely have been a testimony of his religion or belief too.

I never like to wear a cross pendant as I used to think that it is over religious & old-fashioned. Now, I think if in some ways I had been an angel to someone, & he saw the cross hanging on my necklace, he would know that God is real too. The cross pendant may not tell a thousand people anything. In fact, it is simply another accessory. But it may just be that message that one person needed.

I will be hunting around soon to buy a nice cross pendant, & am thinking of having a crystal-studded one as I love crystals!

No comments: