* my beautiful world *

Where my life journeys get more beautiful each day because of all the special people and unique experiences in my life...

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Well Done, Nurses!

My brother was re-admitted to A&E yesterday, so I'm here at the hospital now to accompany him. I observed some interesting events while here. There are 3 elderly patients in his ward. Let's name them E1, E2, & E3.

E1 is very old, probably around 80 years old. He kept grumbling to himself about his discomfort & scolded his maid non-stop.
E1: I'm feeling terrible. Bring me to the hospital. There got nurses to take care of me.
2 social workers came up to test if he's senile. He could answer their questions well. He is clearly not senile or unconscious, yet he doesn't know that he's already in hospital?!

E2, for no apparent reason, went to sit at the empty chair besides E3. I was amazed when E3 was so upset & disturbed by it. He even complained to the nurse when she's on her round to dispense the medicine.

Nurse: It's just a chair, you don't have to be so bothered by it.
E3: I want E2 to apologise.
Nurse: There's no need for an apology. It's just a chair, & it's meant to be shared in the room.
E3: I want E2 to apologise.
Nurse: If you are unhappy, I can change the chair for you.
E3 continues to throw a tantrum.
Nurse: You let me finish dispensing the medicine to the rest of the patients first. Then I'll come back to you.
E3 refused to let the nurse go. She has no choice but to sit down with him & tried to pacify him.
Nurse: Have you walked today?
(I thought it was wierd she asked this question).
E3: Yes, to the toilet.
Nurse: That's not really walking. You rest first. Half an hour later, I'll come back. I'll bring you for a walk.
(I wonder why she want to bring him for a walk suddenly)...
E3 continues to rattles on...
Nurse: You have been lying down too long, that's why you think too much. I'll bring you for a walk so you won't think so much.
(Now I understand).
The nurse didn't turn up for the walk but a psychologist did...

E2 is discharged today, & he refused to take his bag of medicine home. Another nurse came to talk to him.
E2: I don't want to bring the medicine home. You give it to the hospital.
Nurse: You'd paid $35 for the medicine. You'll bring it home.
E2: I don't want. I have a lot of them at home already. You give it to the hospital.
Nurse: The hospital has a lot of them too. Since you have already paid for them, you bring it home.
E2: I don't want. They're so heavy.
Looking at the small plastic bag, I wonder how heavy can it fetch?

Have the patients become so bored that they have become grumpy? Or is it because of their age that they have a fixed mindset & ideas about how they see life & things?

The way the nurses handled these situations have reflected their patience & care for their patients. Cheers to them!

No comments: